Our specific characteristics
The circus: an integral part of CAMELEON
“WE ARE NOT AFRAID TO MEET CIRCUS CHALLENGES BECAUSE WE ARE STRONG”
Sports and physical activities are systematically integrated into the educational project and personal reconstruction of children and young people followed by CAMELEON. These practices are considered to be therapeutic because they are rewarding and allow children to flourish, find well-being, have fun and build a positive image. The circus is very present in the “Rehabilitation” program for girls who are victims of sexual violence.
Volunteer circus arts professionals come from France each year as part of the partnership with the National School of Circus Arts of Rosny-sous-Bois (ENACR). They form a group of trainers among the most competent and motivated young girls. It is they, then, who supervise the circus sessions the rest of the year.
Training and skills development workshops are also offered (rugby, basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis, dance and Taekwondo in particular). Leisure activities are regularly organized in parallel: outdoor games, outings, summer camp, dance and music workshops. These activities promote positive values learning, personal development and solidarity between children.
Sports and artistic activities are also offered to children who benefit from the Education & Development and Prevention & Advocacy programs. Each year, 300 sponsored children from neighboring communities have a great possibility to develop team spirit, creativity and maintain a healthy relationship with their bodies.
2020 Key Figures
“Playing sports is for me a way to become more emotionally resilient: I learned discipline, patience and self-esteem. Practicing a sport requires a lot of perseverance and training to achieve one’s goals. It has become my hobby and it allows me to express my anger and disappointment.”
– Marian, young girl in a host house who belongs to the troupe “Cirquera de CAMELEON”
What sets us apart
A recognized action
- A 22-year field action recognized and legitimized by the public authorities.
- A human-sized association that promotes proximity exchanges and relationships between people.
- Geographical anchorage: The “100% Filipino” local team works with the communities where it operates.
- The teams accompany each child in the long term until they obtain a diploma of higher studies while preparing them for their future adult life.
- The association supports families in becoming aware of their role as parents and fosters family ties maintenance.
- Practice circus arts, hitherto unknown in the Philippines, as an innovative therapeutic tool serving the victims to re-appropriate their body.
- The energy and determination of the Foundress are transmitted to the teams, to the children and parents who take ownership of the project and gradually take over the action with audacity, passion and pride.
- The association trains and accompanies the beneficiaries, children and adults, who become CAMELEON ambassadors. The virtuous circle is born!
- Individual sponsorship: under its control, the association favors links and exchanges between children and their sponsors.
- Awareness raised in schools through unique educational tools used in workshops dedicated to Children’s Rights and International Solidarity.
- Based in Europe and the Philippines, the association feeds on the intercultural North / South and promotes the exchange of expertise and good practices.
Awards received by the CAMELEON association
- Prize of the French Ministry of Sports, Youth, Popular Education and Community Life
- Fondation Air France Award
- International Solidarity Award by the Agency for Education through Sport
Award received by Laurence Ligier, CAMELEON Founder & Director
- Knight of the National Order of the Legion of Honor
- Knight of the National Order of Merit
- French Presidential Award for Citizenship and Community Dedication
- Philippine Presidency Award
- Femme de Cœur Clarins Award (Clarins Woman of Heart)
- Le Progrès de Lyon magazine’s Trophée de l’Audace (Audacity Award)
- The Women of Style & Substance Award from People Asia Magazine