CAMELEON aspires to a world without sexual violence.
In a world where sexual violence is insidious, common, considered taboo and rarely punished, encouraged by a culture of silence due to ignorance, fear, shame or denial, it is necessary to act.
colors, changing lives”.
From a hostile environment to a warm and safe life, children change over the years. Like our
multi-colored CAMELEON, they move slowly but surely, hesitating, sometimes by tumbling but never fall.
We are building safe structures dedicated to victims, helping them overcome their trauma and making it into a force for their rehabilitation. We offer a necessary cocoon to prepare their metamorphosis.
We aim to change minds and
behaviors and are working to change societies and mentalities in order to protect Childhood.
Children are at the heart of our action: changes are made by them, for them and around them.
CAMELEON develops a holistic approach to act on the causes and effects of sexual violence towards children and teenagers.
PROTECTING AND SUPPORTING victims of sexual violence in the Philippines by accompanying them with their families on the path to resilience.
ENCOURAGING our beneficiaries’ autonomy and the socio-economic development of families in their communities.
TRAINING AND ACCOMPANYING beneficiaries and encourage them to get involved as spokespersons and active supports of CAMELEON.
RAISING AWARENESS among the general public, especially young people in the Philippines and in Europe, in order to promote Children’s Rights and freed the voices from sexual violence.
ADVOCATING for Children’s Rights and against sexual violence to local, national and international institutions and the media.
- Our intention is to help children and families to become autonomous and sustainable. It is also to listen, act and encourage citizens to rally against sexual violence.
- We are implementing our projects and supporting our beneficiaries thanks to a multi-disciplinary, professional, specialized and upstanding team.
- We guarantee transparency and proper use of our funds: we are developing and assessing our projects with the help of precise and measurable indicators.
- We recognize sexual violence as one of the greatest violation of dignity as it impacts the integrity of the human being, at the very core of his intimacy.
- We are offering victims the necessary conditions to gain back their dignity, so they can respect themselves again and respect others.
- We are fighting for the dignity of everyone: we respect any individual no matter his age, sex, culture, religion or condition. We are constantly adapting our actions to the local context.
- The need for courage, strength, willingness and time for children on the path of rehabilitation, never give up the fight against their perpetrators until they are recognized as victims and fully exercising their rights.
- The courage for all persons involved in this sensitive project, facing the emotional and physical pain of children who have lived the unspeakable.
- The courage and determination of the foundress, Laurence Ligier, for having launched a fight against sexual violence in the Philippines, where it is considered as taboo, and risking our
lifeto defend the mistreated and underprivileged children.
- We are committed to
implementeverything possible to protect, care for, rehabilitate, educate and warn. We are accompanying children, their families and their communities on the path of resilience and independence. Our employees and volunteers are fully committed to our beneficiaries and our cause.
- Sponsors are
financially, morally and humanly long termcommitted.
- The commitment of our beneficiaries who become actors in the fight for Children’s Rights or the teaching of good health practices, in the aim of reducing domestic and sexual violence.
« I chose the name « CAMELEON » because it represents our mission: like chameleon changes color to adapt to its environment, we help children transform themselves physically and morally, away from their disadvantaged past and toward a better future ».
– Laurence Ligier, Director Founder of CAMELEON
Means of taking action
We actively campaign and take concrete actions for the respect of Children’s rights and their dignity.
With this goal in mind, our day-to-day work consists of :
The physical and legal protection, the personal rehabilitation, the reintegration of children victims of sexual violence, and the social support of the families.
The education, health, professional insertion, the autonomy of underprivileged children and their families.
The training, mobilization and promotion of former and actual beneficiaries to become ambassadors and change leaders: models of success, value-sharing, sustainability.
The public and media awareness on Children’s Rights, the prevention of sexual violence to shatter taboos and break the silence.
The advocacy for a better protection of children to institutional leaders and politicians.
2017 Key Figures
Beneficiaries (children and families)
What makes us unique
• A program on the ground for 20 years recognized and legitimated by public authorities.
• A human-size organization which encourages local exchanges and relationships with people.
• A geographical basis: the local team, 100% composed of Filipinos, works together with the communities where it intervenes.
• The teams accompany each child in the long term, up until university graduation, while at the same time preparing them for adulthood.
• The Association supports families in becoming more aware of their role as parents and encourages the preservation of family ties.
• Through the practice of circus, an unknown discipline in the Philippines used as an innovative therapeutic tool, the victims reclaim their bodies.
• The energy and the determination of the foundress is transmitted to the teams, the children and the parents who take ownership of the project bit by bit with audacity, passion and pride.
• The Association trains and accompanies beneficiaries, children and adults to become ambassadors of CAMELEON. The virtuous circle is born.
• The individual sponsorship: under its supervision, the Association favors the bound and exchanges between children and their sponsors.
• The awareness-raising in schools with the use of unique pedagogical tools, used during workshops dedicated to Children’s Rights and International Solidarity.
• Based in Europe and in the Philippines, the Association thrives on intercultural North/ South exchanges and
favors the sharing of expertise and good practice.
- Award from the French Ministry of Sports, Youth, Popular Education and Community Life
- Award from the Air France Foundation
- Award for International Solidarity through Sports from the French Agency for Education through Sport
Awards received by Laurence Ligier, Founder of CAMELEON Association
- Knight of the French Legion of Honor
- Knight of the French National Order of Merit
- French Presidential Award for Community Involvement and Community Service
- Philippine Presidential Award
- Clarins Femme Dynamisante Award
- The Audacity Trophee (Trophée de l’Audace)